Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Friendly Advice to Parents

You should take pictures of your young children off Facebook. 

            As a criminal defense lawyer, I have been around some pretty unsavory individuals.  The most unsavory of which have been child molesters.  This particular breed of monster is the most culpable of any person I have represented because they prey on children and they generally do not stop until they are put away in prison.
            I’m not going to carry on about any details or attempt to scare any of you who are parents.  I’d just like to offer some advice.  If you have pictures of your children on Facebook, you should delete them.  Some predators collect pictures of kids off Facebook and other social media sites. 
            Let’s say you have 800 Facebook friends.  Assuming you are like me, some of those people are folks you couldn’t pick out of a lineup.  Maybe you went to grade school, middle, or high school with some of them and haven’t seen them in person since graduation.  If one of those people is a predator and is choosing the next victim from social media, you don’t want your child to be one of the options.
           
            I’ve debated posting this for a while.  I don’t want to scare anyone – and I don’t want to make parents out there feel bad because they’ve already put photos up for the world to see.  I’m not saying you’re a bad parent and I’m not saying you’ve done anything wrong.  But as a criminal defense attorney, I can tell you that you might want to delete those pictures and let your family members know that you don’t want your children on Facebook.

            If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to call me.  My door is always open.

            Greg Simms, Murphy & Powell, PLC (502) 618-4949.

No comments:

Post a Comment